NEW DELHI. In the Biggest Shake Up in the Tax Law Field of India LakshmiKumaran & Sridharan and Vaish Associates are merging with effect from 1st April 2008 according to Industry grapevine.
Lakshmi Kumaran & Sridharan is the Biggest Law Firm in Indirect Tax domain in India having a strength of over 100 people whereas Vaish Associates is also a leading Law Firm in Direct Tax matters. The merged entity is set to be the Biggest Tax Law Firm and will change the equations in Tax Advisory and litigation Practice. The merged entity will target a turnover of Rs 400 Crore besides aggressively foraying and expanding in Patents and Trademarks Practice.
- Lakshmi Kumaran & Sridharan are counted amongst Top 5 Indirect Tax Experts of India; while Ajay Vohra of Vaish Associates is also counted amongst Top 10 Direct Tax Experts of the country alongwith S. Dastur, C.S.Agarwal, Ganeshan, Nishith Desai, M.S.Syali, S.C.Tiwari ,Dinesh Vyas and Tulsiyan.
- Lakshmi Kumaran started his career as Professor of Mathematics at Madras University. Thereafter he joined Indian Revenue Service(Customs & Excise) .After working for a decade ; he resigned from IRS in 1985 and founded Lakshmi Kumaran & Sridharan with his brother Sridharan who worked as an Associate of M. Chandrasekharan( who is now Additional Solicitor General of India).
- Lakshmi Kumaran & Sridharan comprises a mixture of ex-customs ,excise & service tax officers, lawyers and Top Patent Experts like Malathi Lakshmikumaran and focuses on customs and central excise law in India and on international trade matters like anti-dumping besides Trade Marks and Patents. The firm is considered to be India’s foremost firm in Indirect Tax domain having offices in Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Ahmedabad & Kolkata. The firm is actively handling litigation at various judicial fora including Supreme Court, High Courts, Customs Excise & Service Tax Tribunal in India and other countries. Lakshmi Kumaran has also represented clients before various International Bodies and judicial forums in Brussels, Ottawa, Bangkok and Jakarta.
- Vaish Associates has its offices at Hailey Road of Delhi, Signature Towers of Gurgaon and Prabhadevi of Mumbai.
- The merger will be watched with excitement by not only Tax Law Firms and Consulting Companies but also by Patent & Trademark Firms who are going to feel the heat with the strategy and combined strength of merged entity.